Smino is a rapper hailing from St. Louis, born into a musical family; His father plays keys, his mother sings, and his grandfather was a famous blues bassist in St. Louis. At the tender age of seven his father would him a set of drums, which he would play in the church band. Although he never sang in church, it is here a young Smino would learn the vocals harmonies that are present in his music today. At seven he would begin rapping inspired by his older cousin, he would go on to begin producing at 13. Now three Ep’s deep in the game, BlkJuptr is Smino’s latest independent release, he is currently performing in North America.
We caught up with St. Louis native Smino to discuss everything music and food. Smino’s latest instalment, Blkjuptr an EP explores themes of cultural alienantion. Since giving the world his debut EP S!CK S!CK S!CK EP which took the the industry by storm he has gone on to pen this infectious thought provoking record, a man who definitely has an old soul Smino’s energy and likability is infectious. You can follow Smino on Instagram.
His passion for music can only be rivalled with his love of food. Here is Smino’s guide to the top 5 restaurants you must check out if you are ever in St. Louis.
5. STL Fish & Chicken: For Smino this fish and chicken placed has to make the list for it’s lemon pepper chicken wings. Located @ 5000 Goodfellow Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63136, United States
4. Cicero’s: If you are looking for good variety food then Cicero’s is your best bet. If you aren’t too sure where to get something to eat then Cicero’s is your best bet. Located @ 6691 Delmar Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63130, United States
3. Goody Goody: Amazing fried chicken and if you’re taste buds are anything like Smino’s then this is the place to have breakfast. Located @ 5900 Natural Bridge Ave, St. Louis, MO 63120, United States
2. China King: This chain restaurant is unsuspecting on the outside, but Smino says it’s number 2 for a reason, claiming they have better food than China. Located @ 3849 Gravois Ave, St. Louis, MO 63116, United States
1. Imos: The number spot goes to this pizza place which Smino is convinced has the best pizza in the world. Located @ 1828 Washington Ave, St. Louis, MO 63103, United States